Monday 16 September 2013

I'm listening to...


Deap Vally
'Sistrionix'


Overheard one of their songs in HMV (yes, I'm probably one of the few people who still shops there) and absolutely had to find out what it was. I googled it madly on my phone and then scrambled through the shelves to find the CD (yes, also probably one of the few people who still buys CD's). 
Rough around the edges, but somehow still edgy. It's a belter. The LA duo's debut album, dripping in sex and anger with raw, heavy riffs. It's punk meets blues meets glam rock and metal. I couldn't think of a better album. This is REAL rock and roll.
Let's not forget the feminist overtones too, understated but laughably witty. I listen to this in the car now, very loud, singing my heart out and imagining myself sat in a smokey loft apartment with bottles of bud and friends clad in leather jackets and tight jeans. Thrilled to have found these  - a breath of fresh air in a stifled music industry. I've been waiting for a band like this for a long time. 

Listen and you'll understand....



You're a pencil pusher with a pension, what can you teach me?

Original lyrics, with a hint of nostalgia; clever and classic. If I was in a band, I would want to be in one like this. 
Each song is different, but with the same earthy tone. From the clean, but knee knocking opening track 'End of the World' to the hauntingly bluesey and beautiful secret track, 'Spiritual', which features some organic vocals, witch-like humming and cars as background noise. This is the sort of album you'll listen to for a long time, and never get bored with. Full of songs you think you've heard before but are too original to be mistaken for anything other than what they are. 
These are two clever ladies, and too god damn cool for me. 

Until next time, when I have hopefully mastered the art of the guitar and how to wear denim hotpants with leopard print leotards and tassels (next week's fashion diary??)...

Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment