Sunday 1 September 2013

Read.




'I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being'

I don't care what anyone ever says to me about cliched romance and Victorian female authors, Wuthering Heights is the one of the greatest loves of my life. Please read it, if not for my sake, then for yours. Your mind will be enriched by this book. You'll come out the other side full of mystery and imagery and made heavier by the weight of the beautiful prose. Forget whether or not it's a love story, it's full of gothic horror and characters that you love and hate simultaneously, and feel as though must've truly existed in some warped history somewhere. I'm not even going to begin to tell you the story line, it's pointless. And for goodness sake, do not watch any of the terrible adaptations. This book is like a dream, and you finish it wondering if anything that has happened could ever be in reality, or if it is just an image of something twisted and wonderful.  

This might seem like a rather predictable choice of favourite literature for an English graduate, but there's a reason that particular books become classics. I can't explain it to you, you really do have to read it to understand I think - and that's why I would recommend it. Good books are the ones that grip you, and make you think about things beyond your own life, and can changed who you are and how you interpret the world. Bronte manages to do that in a very elegant and raw sort of way, exploring all the different parts of being a human. She's wonderful, and so is this novel. 

Would be especially thrilled for some feedback on this one, anybody else love Wuthering Heights? Or, terrifyingly, do any of you think it's a load of nonsense?

Merci :)

1 comment:

  1. Coming from another English major, I couldn't agree more! Lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete